<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/25519831?origin\x3dhttp://beepsaeddetx.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
there must be movement.


Never Push When it Says Pull

Monday, May 17, 2010 @ 6:50 pm.

Day 13 — A fictional book
Day 14 — A non-fictional book

So I'm going to skimp on the meme (or rather, the memes of the past few days <_<) and combine it into one book:


Never Push When it Says Pull - Small Rules for Little Problems by Guy Browning

Basically it's a collection of how-to newspaper columns, e.g. how to sing, how to study for examinations, how to swim. So technically it's non-fiction, but I'm categorising it under fiction because his advice is nothing short of ridiculous.

For example:
How to… use a lift

Calling a lift is easy. Simply press the button and wait. And then press the button again. Many lifts work on the pressure you exert on the call button, so hitting it a hundred times will make it arrive a lot faster. Before you get into the lift, it’s as well to check whether it’s going up or down. There’s nothing more embarrassing than saying confidently to a packed lift ‘Ground floor please’ and then feeling the lift rocketing upwards.

Getting into a crowded lift is like entering a mini party. Everyone’s already settled in there and when the doors open they all look at you as if to say, ‘You’re not coming in here.’ Just take a big breath, step in and then say something to break the ice such as, ‘You’re probably wondering why I called you all here.’ This difficult entry moment explains why even when the lift is the size of your living room and there’s only one small lady in it, the tendency is to wait for the next one. If the same lady is in the next one, it could be her job to operate the lift, so just get in and stop being so silly.

In a crowded lift it’s very bad manners ever to face anybody head on. You should always try and be at least 90 degrees to your neighbours so that an aerial view would look as if you were all finding your way around a particularly tight maze. Never talk to someone in a lift unless you know which button they’ve pressed and you can tailor your conversation to the exact second. Restrict yourself to saying ‘Morning’. In a lift it’s acceptable to say this at any time of night or day, because you’re in your own little world without daylight. The other word everyone wants to say in a lift, especially when the little bell pings, is ‘lingerie’. Don’t say this unless you’re with people you know and love or you’re absolutely positive the other person is getting out.

You’re allowed to look at a stranger in a lift a maximum of once, then you must look elsewhere for the duration of your trip. That’s why it’s a relief when everyone gets out and leaves you alone in the lift. You’re then free to pull faces in the mirror, say ‘lingerie’ loudly and pass wind extravagantly. Often at this moment you’ll discover that the little lady is still in the lift with you.

Being in a lift means invading someone else’s body space. This can be quite exciting when two people are attracted to each other. Passions often ignite in lifts and are sometimes even consummated. This can be awkward for the other passengers, even at 90 degrees.


I really love this book. The only reason why I didn't use the book this is a sequel to, Never Hit a Jellyfish with a Spade, is because somehow I like this one better.

--

In other news:

AMATH PAPER 2:
Okay, as far as I know, Zhi Lin and Carolyn both found Paper 2 harder than Paper 1. Zhi Lin because she went home and managed to finish all the questions in Paper 1 and Carolyn... well, I don't know, she didn't study integration?

I'm in the majority which found this paper easier than Paper 1, but that might either be because the questions are more straightforward, or because we were so prepared for a hard paper that we weren't disturbed by its difficulty and just did it.

Anyway, same story, left four part-questions blank, but this time managed to solve all but one (which was trig proving and I can never do trig proving anyway). I'm very happy because I was able to do the plane geometry question, and managed to solve the trig solving questions. I'm not going to think about the glaring careless mistake I made in the last question that I noticed thirty seconds after the paper ended (ahahaha, not thinking about it, not thinking about it...!) and be satisfied with my once-again triumph in solving questions I left out ^__^

A Math Expectations: At the moment there is a slim, slim chance that I will get an A1. I am holding on to that chance.

--

Anyway, in other news, Carolyn and Carmen both recently posted creative works on their blogs (:

All rights reserved, so I can't post any of them here; go look them up on their respective links in the link-list!

After reading theirs, I can't help but feel that I should post something too :/ I haven't been writing since Science Chronicles, but I do have something I want to write. So maybe I'll do it tomorrow?





Biography.

i'm not there yet
G.
Sagittarius.
Singaporean.
MGS'01-'10
1.1, 2.2, 3.5, 4.3, 5.5, 6.2, 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G
MGS Drama Society Society of Dramatic Arts '07-'10.
ACS(I) 5.12'11 - 6.12'12.
ACSIS '11-'12.
!nk '11-'12
I write because I can't break the habit.

Talk.



Look back.

April 2006 February 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 January 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 January 2010 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 August 2010 September 2010 October 2010 November 2010 December 2010 January 2011 February 2011 March 2011 April 2011 May 2011 June 2011 July 2011

Links.

Updated 7/1/11

Sister!,
Sister!,
Jean,
Elizabeth Chan,
Yan Yee,
En Qi,
Zhi Lin,
Claudia,
Claudia
Colette,
Diana,
Eleanor,
Glenda,
Liz Goh,
Yun Hua's Shop,
Carmen,
Christie,
Tze Shien,
Tze Shien,
Rachel Lau,
Carolyn,
Audrey,
Zenn,
Sheralyn,
Celeste,
Glarbo,
Genevieve,
My Plurk,
My Twitter.

Applause.

21♥
Background: Darkdegree.