<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/25519831?origin\x3dhttp://beepsaeddetx.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
there must be movement.


When I'm Gone

Saturday, December 25, 2010 @ 1:32 am.

A full feature of the song featured in my previous post



Yeah.
It's my life.
My own words, I guess.

Have you ever loved someone so much, you'd give an arm for
Not the expression, no, literally give an arm for
When they know they're your heart
And you know you were their armour
And you will destroy anyone who would try to harm her
But what happens when karma turns right around and bites you?
And everything you stand for turns on you to spite you?
What happens when you become the main source of her pain?
Daddy look what I made, Dad's gotta go catch a plane
Daddy where's Mommy? I can't find Mommy where is she?
I don't know go play Hailie, baby, your Daddy's busy
Daddy's writing a song, this song ain't gonna write itself
I'll give you one underdog then you gotta swing by yourself
Then turn right around in that song and tell her you love her
And put hands on her mother, who's a spitting image of her
That's Slim Shady, yeah baby, Slim Shady's crazy
Shady made me, but tonight Shady's rocka-by-baby

And when I'm gone, just carry on, don't mourn
Rejoice every time you hear the sound of my voice
Just know that I'm looking down on you smiling
And I didn't feel a thing, so baby don't feel no pain
Just smile back

And when I'm gone, just carry on, don't mourn
Rejoice every time you hear the sound of my voice
Just know that I'm looking down on you smiling
And I didn't feel a thing, so baby don't feel no pain
Just smile back

I keep having this dream, I'm pushin' Hailie on the swing
She keeps screaming, she don't want me to sing
You're making Mommy cry, why? Why is Mommy crying?
Baby, Daddy ain't leaving no more, Daddy you're lying
You always say that, you always say this is the last time
But you ain't leaving no more, Daddy you're mine
She's piling boxes in front of the door trying to block it
Daddy please, Daddy don't leave, Daddy - no stop it!
Goes in her pocket, pulls out a tiny necklace locket
It's got a picture, this'll keep you safe Daddy, take it withcha'
I look up, it's just me standing in the mirror
These fuckin' walls must be talking, 'cos man I can hear 'em
They're saying you've got one more chance to do right - and it's tonight
Now go out there and show that you love 'em before it's too late
And just as I go to walk out of my bedroom door
It turns to a stage, they're gone, and this spotlight is on
And I'm singing

And when I'm gone, just carry on, don't mourn
Rejoice every time you hear the sound of my voice
Just know that I'm looking down on you smiling
And I didn't feel a thing, so baby don't feel no pain
Just smile back

And when I'm gone, just carry on, don't mourn
Rejoice every time you hear the sound of my voice
Just know that I'm looking down on you smiling
And I didn't feel a thing, so baby don't feel no pain
Just smile back

Sixty thousand people, all jumping out their seat
The curtain closes, they're throwing roses at my feet
I take a bow and thank you all for coming out
They're screaming so loud, I take one last look at the crowd
I glance down, I don't believe what I'm seeing
Daddy it's me, help Mommy, her wrists are bleeding
But baby we're in Sweden, how did you get to Sweden?
I followed you Daddy, you told me that you weren't leavin'
You lied to me Dad, and now you made Mommy sad
And I bought you this coin, it says Number One Dad
That's all I wanted, I just want to give you this coin
I get the point - fine, me and Mommy are going
But baby wait, it's too late Dad, you made the choice
Now go out there and show 'em that you love 'em more than us
That's what they want, they want you Marshall, they keep screamin' your name
It's no wonder you can't go to sleep, just take another pill
Yeah, I bet you you will. You rap about it, yeah, word, k-keep it real
I hear applause, all this time I couldn't see
How could it be, that the curtain is closing on me
I turn around, find a gun on the ground, cock it
Put it to my brain and scream die Shady and pop it
The sky darkens, my life flashes, the plane that I was supposed to be on crashes and burns to ashes
That's when I wake up, alarm clock's ringin', there's birds singin'
It's spring and Hailie's outside swinging, I walk right up to Kim and kiss her
Tell her I miss her, Hailie just smiles and winks at her little sister
Almost as if to say

And when I'm gone, just carry on, don't mourn
Rejoice every time you hear the sound of my voice
Just know that I'm looking down on you smiling
And I didn't feel a thing, so baby don't feel no pain
Just smile back

And when I'm gone, just carry on, don't mourn
Rejoice every time you hear the sound of my voice
Just know that I'm looking down on you smiling
And I didn't feel a thing, so baby don't feel no pain
Just smile back

(Eminem)


This is my favourite Eminem song. Not Love the Way You Lie, or Not Afraid, or No Love, or whatever else he's sung. I mean, rapped. This song. I looked it up after Xiu Qi introduced me to it at Shannon's karaoke party; I'm still surprised that it didn't go up any higher on the charts.

I don't know, I just think that this is a genius rap. The dream, the chorus, the voice, the soul, everything. It all fits, and it's so sad that I feel like I'm going to cry or something every time I listen to it. I still haven't listened to anything else by Eminem that does this to me. I haven't listened to his reportedly more controversial and insulting raps and it's a good thing I haven't, because I'd like to think that he's got a lot more tracks like this.

--

Just Finished Reading:

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (1st book)

This took me half an hour in the bookstore, the journey home, an hour at home and about half an hour in the morning to finish. Yes, that's right. I'm finally reading The Hunger Games, which I've heard from many people to be absolutely fantastic. They were right.

As soon as I read the blurb for The Hunger Games, I was immediately reminded of Battle Royale, a Japanese seinen light novel turned manga turned movie. In Battle Royale, teenage civilians are also forced into a government-organised game where they are forced to kill each other. There really are a lot of similarities, like how the deaths are projected in the sky each night, and how the teenagers are forced to keep killing (through different means, of course), and how a certain number of people survive at the end. And how this game, albeit to different extents, is televised for public viewing in order to keep the people in fear.

But it was a lot different, in ways that I would have never thought of. It's certainly a lot more kid-friendly, and there's certainly a lot less... shameless gore. Or gorn, if you're familiar with TVTropes terminology. More importantly, though both series focus on the depraved, horrific actions of the government, The Hunger Games goes down a different road. Rather than indulging in blood, insanity, gore, and more blood, (I had to stop reading Battle Royale (the manga) because it was just too gory, and honestly was just descending into pointless killings and excuses to expose the reader to as much gore as possible. I was in Secondary Two), The Hunger Games goes a lot farther.

The story delves right into government mechanics and media coverage and tears it apart. Instead of going right into the Games, there's an entire section devoted to the pre-game preparations which I really, really enjoyed. I enjoyed it to the point that I almost wished the Games wouldn't start so we could see more of this. And after the Games itself, it goes back to... well, I can't avoid spoilers past this point so I shan't continue.

And there's character development too! And things actually happened in ways I didn't expect, after reading BR! I mean, I knew that certain people were either going to die or betray each other and that certain people were going to make it out alive, but it was the way it was done (mostly) that kept me reading. Seriously. If I wasn't so bent on trying to figure out the plot I would have probably enjoyed it even more than I already had.

I'd go on and on but this isn't really a proper review; if I ever get my review blog up, I'll post a proper one. But just saying, this is a really, really good book. I can't figure out how Ms Collins did the second and third ones.

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

It was only after I finished reading this book that I found out that you could actually find this book online, put up by the author himself.

This one took me from when I finished The Hunger Games (about 1 PM) to just before Christmas Eve dinner (about 6 PM).

Coincidentally, this one's also about oppressive governments, but it's more of an urban, realistic present-day dystopia than anything else. Which is always good; it's as scarily realisable as Fahrenheit 451, except a lot closer to the real world. And just like F451 and The Hunger Games, this book is absolutely amazing.

This book doesn't have the vivid, incredibly well-developed fantasy future worlds of F451 and THG, but it does have an equally compelling alternate present. In Little Brother, the United States of America is shaken by the worst terrorist attack of all time, causing the Department of Homeland Security to shift into permanent overdrive. As the country slowly dissolves into a paranoid, frantic police state, the main protagonists decide to fight back -- by way of cyberwar.

I find that the main appeal of this book, to me, is very similar to that of Death Note -- I love seeing the protagonists outsmart pretty much everyone over and over again. Marcus Yallow, when assisted by his varying companions, is very nearly as smart as Yagami Light, and not nearly as insane. Rather than having an idle life and a God complex and taking the whole world with him, Marcus merely lashes out as fiercely and as rashly as a wronged teenager can, and the whole world goes with him. Although both deviously smart, Marcus is more of a normal-smart who goes in too deep and gets swept along by the current, while Light is a genius-smart who goes in too deep and, in the end, destroys himself. Both refuse to let go of their own ideals, but Marcus realises that he's not the one with the power and ultimately succeeds by letting the right people in; Light hoards all the power for himself and ultimately cracks. And oh, did I mention that both are teenagers?

At the same time, Marcus Yallow is very like Guy Montag. Though not really the everyman and person-in-the-crowd that Guy Montag is, both of them realise how incredibly wrong the world is and try their best to stop it. Eventually, both of them realise that as they go deeper they can't do it alone, and both of them know how to rely on others. And, of course, Marcus is a lot more proactive than Montag is. And smarter.

Yeah, what I'm trying to get across is how incredibly smart, yet how incredibly emotional this book is. I mean, with all the sociological discussions and invocations of the Declaration of Independence, and pages of expository devoted to explaining hacking and cryptology to the reader, and the utter geekiness of ARGs and LARPing (read the book!), and the utter genius of some of the plans, there's still at least one scene in the book that made me cry. Some of the tech may go over your head (there was one portion involving a copy-paste of actual code that I just could not understand), but ultimately it does not affect the story. And the story itself is so starkly realistic that you can't help but feel for Marcus and his friends... especially Darryl. You'll get it when you read the book.

Moreover, as much as the book deals with all the dark, grittiness and danger of a government in overdrive, it's written with a certain amount of irreverence that you should expect and enjoy in a book from the perspective of a teenage boy --

Nuuu I'm being chased off to bed. And I haven't even talked about Christmas yet D:

I'll continue this later.





Biography.

i'm not there yet
G.
Sagittarius.
Singaporean.
MGS'01-'10
1.1, 2.2, 3.5, 4.3, 5.5, 6.2, 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G
MGS Drama Society Society of Dramatic Arts '07-'10.
ACS(I) 5.12'11 - 6.12'12.
ACSIS '11-'12.
!nk '11-'12
I write because I can't break the habit.

Talk.



Look back.

April 2006 February 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 January 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 January 2010 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 August 2010 September 2010 October 2010 November 2010 December 2010 January 2011 February 2011 March 2011 April 2011 May 2011 June 2011 July 2011

Links.

Updated 7/1/11

Sister!,
Sister!,
Jean,
Elizabeth Chan,
Yan Yee,
En Qi,
Zhi Lin,
Claudia,
Claudia
Colette,
Diana,
Eleanor,
Glenda,
Liz Goh,
Yun Hua's Shop,
Carmen,
Christie,
Tze Shien,
Tze Shien,
Rachel Lau,
Carolyn,
Audrey,
Zenn,
Sheralyn,
Celeste,
Glarbo,
Genevieve,
My Plurk,
My Twitter.

Applause.

21♥
Background: Darkdegree.